Are you ill suited to investing in the stock market? If you are, you need not fear that you're destined to a life of misery in old age. Plenty of people can become wealthy without putting a dime on Wall Street. I've come up with 31 alternative investments that aren't scams. Enjoy!
Rental Real Estate
1. Single Family Rental Homes
2. Multi Family Rental Homes
3. Apartment Complexes
4. House Hacking (Renting out your basement)
5. AirBnB (or other vacation rentals)
6. Joint rental ventures (combining capital with other people)
7. TurnKey Rentals
8. Leasing Farmland
9. Mobile Home Park Investing
10. Hunting Land Leases
11. Water Access Leases
12. Land Leases (Own the land, but the homeowner owns the structure)
13. Campground Rentals
14. MLPs (mostly natural gas and oil)
15. Alternative Energy Investments (Solar and Wind)
16. Commercial Real Estate Investments
17. Restaurant Franchises
18. Port a potty businesses
19. Wedding Venue Ownership
20. Merch by Amazon
21. Flipping houses
22. Flipping Mobile Homes
Intellectual Property Investments
23. Taking out patents on product innovations
24. Writing books
25. Writing Music
26. Creating Online Courses
Invest in what you know
27. Start your own business
28. Invest in Art
29. Vintage Vehicles
30. Vintage Wines
31. Rare Coins
How are you investing?
In our day and age, investing has come to mean stock market investing, but I think that's crazy. You must invest to build wealth, but you don't have to invest in the stock market. I think a safe approach to investing involves a variety of investment vehicles including some exposure to the financial markets, some investment to real assets, and some recurring revenue investing (ie investing in businessy things).
Do you think I'm crazy to advocate for investing outside of the financial markets?
I'm a wife, a mom, an employee, and a personal finance nerd who is devoted to spreadsheeting my way through life.